Mechanics of Continua – FS 2013
Prof. Romain Teyssier
Room: Y15 G20 (Irchel Campus)
Wednesday, 13:00-14:00 in Y16 J33 (on exceptional basis)
Link to the UZH page of the course.
Modifications on the time schedule
- 19th February: Lecture at 10:45 (as usual) but the exercise class takes place in Y13 L11 for all students!
- 26th February: Note the new room and starting time of the teaching classes.
- The condition to obtain the testat is to hand in 75% of the exercises individually, i.e. it is not allowed to hand in solutions in groups.
- Please do not hesitate to contact us in case of questions and difficulties!
Students who would like to download the latest updates are asked to check it directly here.
- Lecture 1: Classical mechanics. Solid mechanics. Stress. Deformation. Strain.
- Lecture 2: Elastic deformations. Stress modulus and stability of the material. The Navier equation.
- Lecture 3: Elastic waves. Seismic applications. Waves in beams. Dislocations.
- Lecture 4: Fluid mechanics. Conservation laws. Energy equation. Real, ideal and incompressible fluids.
- Lecture 5: Helmholtz decomposition, Circulation theorem, Vorticity equation, Bernoulli theorem.
- Lecture 6: Sound waves, Gravity waves, Instabilities, Shock formation and Shock waves
- Lecture 7: 2D Potential flow, Velocity potential, Complex potential, Blasius formulae, Kutta condition, Kutta-Joukowski theorem.
- Lecture 8: Incompressible viscous flows, Planar viscous flows, Couette and Poiseuille stationary flows, Boundary layer theory, Turbulence